"I wanted to take action and do something about it. Not just call it quits or stay in the position I was unhappy with for the rest of my life. I saw all the opportunities that teachers had for creating online professional development, making online courses and collaborating with edtech companies."
~Miranda Colwell (6:00)
Here's some highlights from this episode:
02:51 Erica Terry
Let's get real for a moment. When people from the outside looking in think about the benefits of working In education and of being a teacher, they think summer breaks, two weeks off in the winter, spring break, they look at all of the vacations, and they feel like that makes the low salary that teachers get worth it.
But those of us in the field, those of us in the classroom, those of us working in education, we know that there aren't enough breaks in the world to compensate for all of the BS, all of the extra duties and responsibilities, and all of the #teacherproblems that we have to deal with.
04:26 Miranda Colwell
I taught for four years before I left the classroom to get my master's degree. During those four years, I was getting very frustrated with the education system. It wasn't the school I was at. It wasn't the teachers. It wasn't my administrators. I had amazing amounts of support. But there were things about education in general that just did not sit well with me. I could not stand the teachers weren't getting paid well enough. And I couldn't accept that certain things are the way they are.
07:59 Erica Terry
If you feel stressed out and overwhelmed, you may not know exactly what to do, but you know that you want to do something. You have to take action.
10:46 Mama Eggers
Hey all, this is Mama Eggers, aka Emily Eggers. And one thing I wish I had known before I started my business or during starting my business is what things you should pay for and what things just use the free versions of.
So I'm big on Instagram marketing, so I use Tailwind to help me schedule out all of my Instagram posts. I highly recommend doing the in Tailwind premium and paying for Tailwind because it is super worth it to make all of the Instagram stuff more efficient.
17:13 Lisa Frank
Hi there. This is Lisa from Think Tank Teacher. I'm a social studies teacher. So using pictures in my products of primary and secondary source documents is extremely important. What I wish I knew from the beginning of my teacherpreneur journey was the difference between different copyright licenses.
I use affiliate marketing as one of my income streams from my business. So it's always important for me to stay aware and up to date and all of the rules and regulations that are being created as it relates to affiliate marketing.
Here's your Power Hour Assignment:
- Audit all of the products that you currently use in your business. That means going through and writing down the tasks and the product that you're using in order to get everything done. You're going to look at each product and determine how you're using it.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you paying for a service that you really could be using for free because you haven't even started tapping into any of the paid features yet?
If so, you're gonna want to save yourself those coins and downgrade to the free version.
- Is there a task that's taking up a lot of your time and you know that you could get it done faster if you had the right system in place?
If so, you're going to want to look for a product that you can start using either the free or paid version, so that you can get it done faster.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
Disclosure: I am a partner with many of the companies discussed on the podcast. This means that if you make a purchase using one of the affiliate links on this page, I may receive a referral commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my earnings disclaimer for more info.
Resources I Mentioned in this episode:
- 10:46: Mama Eggers shares how she uses Tailwind for Instagram
- 13:00: I share how I use Tailwind for Pinterest
- 14:54: I share how I use ConvertKit to automate my email system. See it in action when you Click Here to Download the Classroom to CEO Cheat Sheet & Subscribe to my weekly newsletter.
- Looking for Additional Tools to Achieve Success in Your Online Biz? Click Here to Explore My Favorite Edupreneur Tools!
- Be a Guest or Join the Next Expert Roundtable
How to Contact the Expert Edupreneurs that Appeared on Today's Episode:
“I love Erica and Classroom to CEO.” <– If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more educators — just like you — move toward the online life and business that they desire.
Here's How to Leave a Review:
- Click here to go to the Podcast page on iTunes
- Scroll to the bottom
- Tap to rate with five stars
- Select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the feed and, if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out. Subscribe now!